Latest Gaza tunnel collapse indicative of Hamas military preparations, Iran affirms support for Hamas


A tunnel collapse in the southern Gaza Strip killed a Hamas militant on Tuesday, the latest in a series of tunnel collapses that is indicative of increased Hamas military preparation. Late last month, Israeli residents of Moshav Pri Gan, which is adjacent to the Gaza border, said that the tunnel digging was causing their houses to shake. Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas’ leader in Gaza, announced after a collapse killed seven Hamas militants last month that the tunnels were dedicated to “liberate the holy sites” in Israel. Haniyeh also said, “In eastern Gaza, heroes are digging through rock and building tunnels, and in the west they are experimenting with rockets every day. The resistance continues on its path of liberation of the land.” Haaretz’s defense correspondent Amos Harel wrote last month that “Hamas is investing great efforts and huge sums in the tunnel project. It is reasonable to assume that the number of tunnels crossing under the border is close to that on the eve of Protective Edge.” Hamas on Sunday called for suicide bombings against Israelis and posted a music video online whose lyrics, in part, read, “The intifada is not an intifada if the bus roof doesn’t fly off.” Hamas members carried out several such attacks during the Second Intifada, which lasted from 2000 until 2005.

Furthermore, the Iranian Foreign Ministry’s spokesman, Hossein Jaberi Ansari, stated unequivocally on Monday that it is a “principled policy” for his country to support “Palestinian resistance movements,” including Hamas. Khalil Abu Leila, a senior Hamas leader, confirmed that his organization continues to receive aid from Iran. Iran is also funding an organization called Al-Sabireen (“the Patient Ones”) which is, according to the Israeli journalist Khaled Abu Toameh, actively working to establish terror cells in the West Bank that would launch attacks against Israelis. In another indication of Iran’s efforts to infiltrate the Palestinian territories, the Shin Bet and IDF uncovered a plot last month by a Hezbollah-funded group in the West Bank, whose members were recruited by the son of Hezbollah’s chief Hassan Nasrallah. The group was planning to carry out shooting and suicide bombing attacks against Israelis.


Satellite images show that Iran has continued construction on a possible underground military complex and has tried to hide evidence that it tested explosives that could be used in the detonation of a nuclear weapon, The Daily Beast reported on Monday.

The satellite images of the Parchin military base, which were taken on January 19 and analyzed by the private intelligence firm Stratfor, showed that Iran had built a tunnel into an underground complex and had paved over the site of previous explosive testing. Both activities suggest that Iran might be trying to hide certain activities from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).Sim Tack, an analyst for Stratfor, told The Daily Beast that the images didn’t necessarily show that Iran is “cheating on the nuclear deal.” However, he added,“The images show Iran was going through the motions to hide what it’s done before, and it is still…developing facilities that the IAEA may or may not have access to.”

Comparing the new satellite images with ones of the same site in 2010 show that the area where suspected nuclear testing took place has been paved over, with nearby vegetation and soil, which could had residue from the testing, removed.

While the sanitizing of the area near where the high-explosive experiments occurred has been reported before, the completion of the nearby tunnel is new. Stratfor said that they have images from 2014 showing construction equipment near the tunnel, and it appears that the tunnel is now completed. “They were still going forward with that construction during the [nuclear] talks,” Tack observed.

It isn’t clear what the tunnel leads to, but it was speculated that it could house part of Iran’s ballistic missile program. The United States first discovered that Iran was testing ballistic missile engines at Parchin in 1997.

The United States imposed sanctions on Iran for its ballistic missile program in January after announcing the end of nuclear-related sanctions. The U.S. had originally planned to impose the sanctions, described by an expert as the “bare minimum,” at the end of December, but delayed imposing them due to pressure from Iran.

An official from the Obama administration did not comment on the images, but told The Daily Beast that IAEA inspectors could go to the site if the area was deemed suspicious. The official said that the nuclear deal “means the IAEA will have the access it needs to any suspicious location going forward. Such transparency will ensure that these past activities will not occur again, and if they do, that they will be quickly detected.”

However, IAEA inspectors who arrived at Parchin in September were not allowed inside a key site. The process was described by Emily Landau, in The Looming Global Nuclear Weapons Crisis, which was published in the January 2016 issue of The Tower Magazine.

The first event that tested Iran’s interpretation of managed access was the inspection of the military facility at Parchin over this past summer, in the context of the IAEA’s investigation of Iran’s past weaponization work. Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had already made it quite clear over the months of negotiations with the P5+1 that Iran would never allow inspectors entry into its military facilities, and he and various military leaders reiterated this message when the JCPOA was announced, and in the aftermath of the deal. What happened in the Parchin inspection, it emerged, was that Iran collected soil samples from within the facility, while IAEA cameras monitored the process from outside.

The implication for future inspections, Landau wrote, is that “this was the closest that Iran would allow the IAEA to get to inspecting suspicious military facilities.”

Shortly after that incident, Olli Heinonen, a former deputy director-general of the IAEA, and David Albright, the head of the Institute for Science and International Security, a non-proliferation think-tank, wrote that “the physical presence of trained, experienced inspectors, with the ability to investigate the building or site up close, is critical to detecting the best places to sample, particularly in the case of a country that has a history of violating its safeguards obligations.” (via


Haifa’s Yisrael Kristal isn’t concerned whether or not he’s the world’s oldest man. But historians and genealogists are working overtime to try and find documents to satisfy the Guinness World Records rules to prove this Polish-born Israeli Holocaust survivor’s 112 years. The family of the retired confectionery maker says he was born September 15, 1903. Guinness World Records confirmed that following the death in Japan of 112-year-old Yasutaro Koide, Kristal may be the oldest man alive today. Kristal has his marriage certificate from 1928 – when he was 25 years old. But the organization that annually publishes a book of the world’s records and achievements says that in order for Kristal to receive an official World Record holder title, he must provide documentation from the first 20 years of his life. “We have standard rules and it would be unfair on other people if we bent the rules,” Robert Young, senior consultant for gerontology at Guinness World Records, told AFP regarding Kristal’s circumstances. After Haaretz broke the story in January of Kristal’s candidacy for world’s oldest man, the Jewish Records Index organization (JRI) volunteered to locate the required archived documents. JRI-Poland has the largest fully searchable database of indexes to Jewish vital records accessible online, with more than five million records from more than 550 Polish towns. Kristal was born in Zarnov, then moved with his family to Lodz until the Nazi occupation. He worked as a candy maker in his family’s confectionery shop but eventually was sent to the Auschwitz death camp. According to family statements, Kristal’s first wife perished in the Holocaust. He remarried in 1947 in Lodz, and moved with his family – his second wife and son — to Israel in 1950. In Haifa, Kristal made a name for himself as an expert candy maker. His specialties, according to family statements, were tiny liquor bottles made of chocolate and wrapped in colored foil; carob jam; and chocolate-covered orange peels. (via Israel21c)

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.